During the fire on the 15 November 2018 local residents were advised by Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service to keep their windows and doors closed. The fire no longer poses a threat and is not distributing ash or debris. The property involved in this fire had an asbestos-cement roof. The owner of the property is demolishing it today so as a precaution Salford Council would recommend that residents keep their windows and doors closed for the rest of the day. We would also advise that pet owners ensure their animals avoid visiting contaminated areas.
It has been reported that material has been deposited in ash or debris in the vicinity of the trading estate and surrounding residential areas. This may contain asbestos and we are taking steps to clean roads and paths, and working with the company to offer specialist cleaning of properties.
Salford Council would like to stress that risk to health is low and there is unlikely to be any significant exposure to asbestos following fires involving materials containing asbestos.
The Council are working closely with other agencies, including Public Health England. We have also appointed specialist consultants to monitor the air quality in the area for potential pollutants so that we are able to give residents the best possible advice.
As a precautionary measure it is sensible that any asbestos containing debris is carefully removed to minimise any potential exposure.
Salford City Council is arranging a clean-up of asbestos containing materials spread by the fire which may have fallen as ash and debris over the surrounding area. This is in conjunction with the property owner’s contractor.
If you find small particles of ash or debris from the fire on your property or vehicles and they are small enough to wash away you can first dampen them down using water, then gently flush them away to the drain. If there are larger pieces of debris contact us for specialist removal using the contact details below.
Do not sweep up or vacuum ash or debris as this could create airborne dust.
If you prefer to leave any cleaning to the specialist team then you can contact us to request this by calling or using our web form:
Monday - Sunday 24 hours: 0161 793 2500.
Or visit https://contactus.salford.gov.uk/?formtype=ENV_NUIS and selecting asbestos in step 2.
If you came into contact with the smoke plume and you experience any breathing difficulties, watery eyes, coughing and a sore throat and have any ongoing symptoms, contact your GP or NHS 111.