Fire services were called to a home on Coniston Avenue in Little Hulton this afternoon after a tumble dryer burst into flames filling the property with smoke and flames.
Fortunately the tenant acted quickly in escaping to safety before immediately contacting the emergency services who arrived on the scene shortly afterwards to extinguish the blaze.
The shook up tenant was in the process of planning to go out; had she done so the fire would have been far worse, her quick actions ensured that the fire was brought under control quickly, fortunately no one was injured.
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) advise that tumble dryers are one of the most comon causes of house fires and that they should never be left on when no one is in the property or people sleep.
A general rule of thumb is to follow the guidelines to ensure your appliance is in good working order and safe to use.
- Remove any lint from the machines filter after every load is completed
- Ensure that all covers,vents or openings on the machine are not obstructed
- Sweep or vacuum areas around the dyer to prevent fluff build up, it can act like tinder and it burns quickly allowing the fire to spread.
- Do not use while sleeping or when away from home, the consequences for doing so could cost the lives of yourselves and your loved ones.
- Clean your machine on a regular basis, wipe with a wet cloth, condenser models need to have their heat exchanger's cleaned at least five times a year.
- Ensure that the socket is safe and unbroken and that any cables to the machine are not frayed or worn, also ensure that the plug is fitted correctly with the relevant fuse fitted.
City West also advise both tenants and non tenants to ensure they have an up to date electrical safety test as well as functioning smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted.
If you live in one of their properties you can make sure yours is up to date by giving them a call on 0300 123 5522 and if not they will arrange for the tests to be carried out.