Jump to content

Another bitterly cold night at the AJ Bell Stadium saw Salford Red Devil’s open there Super League campaign against Wigan.

Report by Paul Whiteside

Salford got off to the perfect start against The Warriors when centre Kris Welham swooped over for a try to open the scoring.

Gareth O Brien added the conversation 6-0. Both packs were really strong in the early stages not wanting to give much away they went at it toe to toe. Mark Flanagan was missing for Salford pulling out a few hours before kick off with a virus.

Nine minutes in and Junior Sau came up with a crunching ball and all tackle to put flying wingman Tom Davies in to touch, moments later after Salford had lost possession Davies was in at the corner after good quick hands from his centre Dan Sarginson.

Sam Tomkins missed the goal 6-4, allowing Wigan to edge in front after Tomkins neat slide-rule kick into the in-goal area caused havoc before centre Oliver Gildart pounced on the loose ball to score.

Tomkins added the extras 6-10. The last action of the first half saw George Griffin sin-binned for a dangerous tackle. Wigan struck first in the second half as winger Davies put a speculative kick through which Frenchman Morgan Escare followed up to score.

Tomkins extended the lead to 6-16. The Warriors then pulled away taking complete control of the game with tries from Liam Marshall, Escare and Gildart. Their support play was excellent at times playing some fast flowing rugby. In particular, the Wigan left edge was devastating causing Salford problems all night.

Leading 6-34 Tony Clubb brushed off several defenders to score the visitors final try Tomkins added the goal 6-40.

Niall Evalds finished well in the corner late on for Salford with O Brien kicking off the touchline. Wigan’s pace out wide was difficult to deal with at times both their half-backs Sam Powell and George Williams were on top form.

Jack Littlejohn worked hard for Salford coming off the bench to play in the hooking role.

Speaking after the game Red Devil’s coach Ian Watson was disappointed with the scoreline but pleased with the first half and how his middles performed.

Salford faces a tough trip to Wakefield next Friday.

Final score tonight Salford 12 Wigan 40


  Report Article
Sign in to follow this  

  Facebook Comments

Like us on Facebook

  •   Salford City Radio 94.4 FM  

     Coming Soon

  • Readers Letters


About Us

We are a community led, not for profit, local news website for the City of Salford
Copyright 2018 - Salford Media Group

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. you can also find out privacy policy via this link Privacy Policy