Jump to content
  Home   Salford.TV   SCRadio   Contact Us ...

Disgraced former captain was involved in two armed robberies which have now left him serving time behind bars.

Ex City Reds captain Malcolm Alker, aged 39, was given a four year sentence on Friday 12/012/18 for his parts in terrifying armed robberies which took place in October last year.

Alker and co-defendant Michael Naylor, aged 25, subjected the manager of a KFC restaurant in Pemberton, Wigan, to a horrific attack using a machete and wearing balaclavas. 

Shortly afterwards, both Alker and Naylor took park in another equally vicious robbery at Tesco Express in Whelley, Wigan.

The pair threatened a member of staff with a machete before robbing the store of £350, unwittingly taking a bundle of £20 notes which contained a GPS tracker. They also made off with a number of boxes of Cigarettes. 

It was not long before the police traced the men using the tracker, whereupon they apprehended them on Delegarte Street in Ince, Wigan.

Naylor was found hiding behind his vehicle whilst Alker emerged from nearby bushes with his hands in the air as he gave himself up. The tracker was later found to be in Naylors pocket along with the money bundle.

Both had already plead guilty to two counts of robbery as well as two counts of possession of an offensive weapon at a hearing last month.

Both men were sentenced to four years in prison for their part in the crimes.

Alker captained Salford Reds for almost a decade before he was dropped in 2009 after breaching club rules at a training camp in the USA.

He later returned to the club for a short period but was once more shown the door after yet another incident at the clubs training ground.

The former hooker had played over 350 games for the Red Devils between 1997-2010 as well as winning two England caps.

Alker retired from professional Rugby due to injury sustained in 2010 and his 16-year association with Salford ended the following year.

He attracted the support of the entire rugby league family last year when he was reported missing in April 2016.

Being found safe and well the following day after numerous pleas for help and information on social media.

This is a classic example of the fall from grace of a man who previously had a glittering career.

  Report Article
Sign in to follow this  

  Facebook Comments

Like us on Facebook

  •   Salford City Radio 94.4

     Coming Soon

  •   Salford City Radio 94.4

     Coming Soon

  • Trending News

    Readers Letters


Who are we?

Salford Voice is Part of Salford Media Group © 2018

Contact Us

Find us on Social Media